Clear all

Success at last, well sort off !!

5 Posts
3 Users
7 Likes
AndyW
(@andyw)
Topic starter  

Never give up being my catchphrase, I decided to try again after yesterdays disasters with the programme locking up multiple times.

At last I have been able to put together a very basic show using just photopia resources (styles, transitions), just a short tester but got there without the software locking up which is a first.

However, I did notice a couple of things.

1. videos (mp4) if you preview them there is no sound, which can make it hard to synch properly within the show.

2. copy to previous/next keyframe sometimes just does not work in either the keyframe view or the animations window. It will work once, then if you try next time it doesn't. Coming out of that slide view clicking on another then going back to the one you want to change seems to reset things.

3. slide and transition timings are temperamental as well. Sometimes you can click on the time box and change it other times it just refuses until you go to a different view and then come back.

4. changing from slides to timeline, or keyframe view or any combination of them. There were times when changing to slide view to timeline when the timeline showed as blank. Clicking back to slide view and back again and all fine. Seems sometimes the programme just cannot keep up if you do it to fast or often.

5. Sometimes it just will not recognise a click (either right or left) when trying to work at anything above snails pace.

6. playback (preview) is very jerky sometimes, actually more often than not.

I know there were other "quirks" I noticed but can't remember what they were just now. I am sure I will find them again.

I also noticed that the programme is the most memory hungry software I have got on my system and that includes every other graphics programme I use.

I am looking at the memory usage now whilst it is just sitting there with a small slidesow open and it is using over 8GB??????

That is not a problem as such as I have 64GB on my system but it could be why there is so much lag on clicking and jerky playback etc.

So at least the software did not lock up as usual but I am afraid I still cannot really see myself using it for "proper" stuff at the moment because it is just to unreliable in a number of areas.

AndyW
(@andyw)
Topic starter  

OK. A follow up to the above post.

Decided to work a bit more on the show I did yesterday. Adding some video and bits and pieces.

Hmmm. what can I say? Not too successful.

Started ok trimmed underlying soundtrack then started working on a couple of video slides.

Problems.

The main problem has been that the programme is just not consistent when you click around on various areas.

Originally when I opened up then clicking on a slide selected that single slide same with keyframes etc.

Then for no reason at all it would just select multiple slides or keyframes. i.e. if you left clicked on one it would select, left clicking on another would select that one as well as the first one rather than deselecting the original. You then had to go back and click on that one etc etc.  Sometimes the copy to keyframe worked, sometimes it didn't and other silly things like that. A right pain in the gluteus maximus.

Closing the show and/or programme and restarting sometimes seemed to reset things but then it might not. It just seems to be random.

Then there are video files....

MP4 files with video and audio (as most video files have).

1. hiding a video layer hides the video but does not mute the audio. It should.

2. It is not possible to mute the audio from any of the adjustment sliders. (Layer/adjustments or animations)

3. trying to do so from the timeline is (sometimes) possible if it is a single track on the slide but that is not always possible as we go back to the problem where clicking on things just does not necessarily work all the time.

4. Multiple tracks on a single slide!! Forget it, especially if you want to do a PiP type thing where one tracks audio is muted or where the tracks alternate audio. It is impossible to mute one track with any of the sliders either by keyframe or the whole thing. If you hide the layer the audio still plays. Trying to change things from the timeline does not seem to be possible when there are two (or more) tracks on a slide as the way it combines on the view is confusing for a little mind like mine

5. last thing for now is in the browser window it shows (2) on each of the tracks used as if they were being used twice each in the show. They are not. Unless it because they have been trimmed and shows it as both the original and trimmed files being used??

I know this is a new programme and I am just learning it (and probably making mistakes) but some of the stuff is pretty obviously wrong. Muting tracks, sliders making no difference etc.

Oh well... Amazon have not arrived yet so a little bit more messing around is in order I guess.

Have fun folks

Andy

ReplyQuote
Peter Lang
(@peter-lang)

Every time I start the program I give up after a little wile.

There are so many bugs. I belief the can never fix them all.

So many things going wrong and can seen by everyone even by the technical team.

Why do they not test the basic staff?

I am so sad!  

ReplyQuote
AndyW
(@andyw)
Topic starter  

@peter-lang

Yeah I know the feeling.

The first couple of times something happens I think, oh that must of been me. Then it happens again and again or something totally different goes wrong and I think, Nah, that aint me thats the programme. But things like I found on the video side of things are pretty basic stuff in any programme when you are going to be trying to work with more than one thing at a time.

I gave up once when the first trial run out, the extra week has probably only frustrated me further since I have been working only with Photopia and not trying to import anything at all from Proshow.

Oh well. Here's hoping they have taken notice of everything you, me and others have sent them.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

@peter-lang

I understand how heavy it is when the program not  works. I get so brain tired.and sad.

This is not the only one. I have installed  On1 on laptop without problem some weeks ago and yesterday i wanted  install it on Desktop. I could not . I tried at least 4 hours to get the program installed. Only i can do well is to install programs. Of course my first thought was is it something wrong with Desktop. I must check so much I can. Today i got answer that ON1 has a bug and how i can go around it.This programs update was beta tested free twice for public, before they released it..there are often problems with updates.,even if the companies has done very good betatests.

I don't know why, but the technology is moving too fast. Unfortunately I am not very IT technical

For me Photopia works well, just now. And it will be good, perfect one day.Even if i had got more trial time I had bought it.

What else I had to choose.? I have so many stylepacks and transitors from Proshow.I cannot use the Adobe,s Premiere Pro.I have not many styles.

But i am sure I will meet difficulties. and bugs . Photopia works not at all same way as Proshow..

Very good for us and company that some who are here and can write very well what is wrong. I am very grateful for you. 

Have  a   good evening, Peter.    Mirja     

P.s I see here is  a program which help me write better english.

This post was modified 4 years ago by Anonymous

ReplyQuote
Share: