Clear all

Highest quality Publishing option

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Edward Daniels
(@edward-daniels)
Topic starter  

It looks like my Blu-Ray burner is on the fritz so I am looking for the best alternative.  I am also seeing the handwriting on the wall that Blu-Ray is fading in popularity.  At issue is that I have been ecstatically happy with the quality output of Blu-Ray.  Recent attempts to publish in MPEG seemed to fall short.  

What is the highest quality publishing option?  Is it still Blu-Ray?

Thanks.  Ed

Keith Simonian
(@yaryman)

I use the publish video file option to create 4K UHD MP4 files with the "Extreme Quality" setting. 
Then to get to 8K videos, I upscale the 4K file using Topaz Video. 

I realize almost nobody has 8K TV's, but in a couple years they will. 
I don't want my videos to become obsolete. 

https://youtu.be/4M9tdDqAemc?t=102

ReplyQuote
George Krahn
(@aslangeorge)

My question is: how do you deliver that 4K or 8K file to a client?  I give access to the file on a Google Drive but most of my clients are older(I do funeral/memorial slideshows) and don't know what to do with that.  If they live near me I also put the video file on a USB drive and give it to them to use at the church or funeral home.

I find that supplying the client with a DVD or BD is the simplest way to give them the product I'm creating for them.

Any other suggestions anyone? 

ReplyQuote
Keith Simonian
(@yaryman)

I can write a 4K MP4 file to a USB drive. 
It will play on most smart tv's. 

ReplyQuote
Jerry Hatfield
(@jerry)

I'm also delivering UHD 60p thumb drives. I export my segments to Prores from Creator. I import these into an NLE and compile the project. After doing color correction and adding effects, (the effects in Creator get repetitive) I then export a Prores Master to be processed in Mastering Works 7. Here I export with X.265 Dual pass and that file is then transferred to a thumb drive for delivery. In some cases, I just upload the file to so the client can download and put it on a thumb drive themselves.

My last project had a master file of 1TB and the final dual pass delivery file was only 19.5GB. The project was 1 hour and 42 minutes.

I also export an HD version from within the NLE to also be transferred to a thumb drive. 

For Edward: If your clients are older and have used discs, more than likely DVD's, I would stick to that format. It's easier for both you and your clients. If you are wanting to go to higher quality, keep in mind that you will need to consider processing power, disc space, and time. Then there is still the issue of not all TV's have the same USB requirements. Before I deliver anything, I get the make and model number of the clients Smart TV. This way I can research what file type and formatting is required. If you are delivering to multiple devices, this gets time consuming.

ReplyQuote
Share: